Yes! we love to make our pasta with yellow-red-green colored capsicum variety but of course with the hint of Indian spices. Actually, my hubby taught me this simple pasta recipe. When I tasted first time I totally loved it. During his student life in Sydney he used to make this pasta dish at least once in a week. Since then I become a huge fan of pasta variety. Now, you’ll always find at least 5 kind of pasta in my pantry. :)
We also have tried many authentic Italian pasta in tomato sauce but we usually weigh heavily on this desi estyle way. Our spices makes it somehow tasty and yummy. This low-fat version of pasta does not includes any special sauces or Italian herbs but spice powders only. You will only need your masala-box. Try to find whole wheat or durum wheat flour pasta and make your pasta healthier for your kids. You can prepare in few minutes yet it will satisfying meal. Your kids will love this simple pasta.
- 2 C Fusilli Pasta
- 1 C Mix vegetables - use any vegetables of your choice. (I used frozen Carrot, Corn and Peas)
- 1 C Capsicum ~ any color ~ chopped in 1" cubes
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp each Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds
- 1 Onion ~ sliced
- 1 tsp freshly crushed ginger-garlic (optional)
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder (or to taste)
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala powder
- 4-5 tbsp Tomato Ketchup (or to taste)
- Salt to taste
- For garnish ~ shredded Mozzarella cheese
- In big heavy pan, bring 4 -5 Cups water to boil. When the small bubbles starts to form add little salt and 1 tsp oil. Add pasta to this. Cook pasta for 12-13 mins or al dente. The pasta should be cooked throughout but still hold the shape. Drain the water and leave the pasta in colander till you need.
- Heat oil in pan, add the mustard seeds first, let it crackle for few seconds and add cumin seeds now. Fry the sliced onions till translucent. Season with little salt here. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for 2 mins more. To this, add the chopped capsicum and mix vegetables. Cover and let it cook on slow-medium heat for 4-5 mins. When the vegetables are half-cooked yet crunchy, add all the spices.
- Now add the tomato ketchup and mix well. Add the cooked pasta and salt to taste. Mix well. Check for seasoning and adjust.
- Garnish with shredded cheese if you wish but recommended. :) Enjoy!