Tadka Dal Recipe
Author: Seven Spice
- ½ C Tuver Dal/ Yellow Pigeon pea
- ¼ C Yellow Mung Dal (split)
- ¼ C Masoor Dal/Red Lentils
- 2 small green chillies + 2-3 garlic pods + 1" Ginger ~ lightly pounded
- 1 big Tomato - chopped
- ½ tsp Turmeric pwd
- 1.5 tsp Red chili pwd (or to taste)
- 1 tsp Coriander pwd
- ½ tsp Garam masala pwd
- 1 tsp Oil + 1 tsp Ghee
- Salt to taste
- For Tadka/seasoning:
- 1 tsp Oil + 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- A pinch of hing/Asafoetida
- 1 small Onion - finely chopped
- For garnish:
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- Chopped Coriander leaves
- Combine the tuver dal + yellow mung dal and wash 2-3 times using warm-hot water. Soak in 3 cups of hot water for 20-30 mins. The masoor dal/red lentils tends to be soften very fast so you don't need to soak in hot water. Just wash it separately and keep it aside until needed. When you're ready to pressure cook, mix with other dals.
- Heat 1 tsp oil + 1 tsp ghee in your pressure cooker pan. Sauté the ginger-garlic-green chilli paste first. Now, add the chopped tomato. To this, add all the dals with 2-3 cups of hot water. It really depends on your pressure cooker size. Cook it about 2-3 whistles. Your dals should be cooked soft but not very mushy. Let it cool a bit.
- Open your pressure cooker and cook the dals on slow heat. Add all the spice powders and salt. Stir it in between. Let it cook for 10-12 mins and your dal will be thicken. If you feel, add more water and adjust the consistency. Remove from the heat. Add the lemon juice and cover with lid.
- Meanwhile, prepare your tadka. Heat oil + ghee in a small pan. Add the cumin seeds/jeera, let it crackle till golden brown, sprinkle hing and add chopped onion. Sprinkle little salt to it and sauté it on slow-medium heat till the onion become translucent. Remove from the heat. Pour the tadka on cooked dal when you’re ready to serve. Garnish with coriander leaves. Enjoy!
Recipe by Seven Spice at http://www.7spice.net/sides-n-snacks/tadka-dal/