Gujarati Bateta nu Rasavalu Shak Recipe
- 2-3 medium Potatoes - 90% boiled and chopped in cubes
- 1 medium Tomato
- 1 tbsp Vegetable/ Sunflower Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds/ rai
- A pinch of hing/ Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Red Chili pwd - OR to taste
- ½ tsp Turmeric pwd
- ½ tsp Coriander pwd
- 1 tsp Achaar Masala -- optional but recommended
- ½ tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Water
- Heat oil in pan, add mustard seeds and let it crackle. Add a hing and 1 cup water and cover the lid immediately. (Caution: Your burning chance is very high so please do it carefully as it splutter very badly due to oil and water mishmash). Add the cubed tomato.
- When the water start to bubble up, add all the spice powders, salt and potato. Cover with lid and allow to cook and let blend all the spices with potato for few mins about 7-8 mins. Add sugar in the end. Adjust the consistency as per your choice. I make mine neither watery nor thin but medium thick. Taste the seasoning and adjust. Turn the gas off. Serve with your desired paratha or roti or simply plain rice.
Recipe by Seven Spice at http://www.7spice.net/sides-n-snacks/bateta-nu-rasavalu-shak-recipe/