I am very much breakfast person and I hardly skip it. This breakfast dish is my all-time favourite and I usually prepare it once in a week. Actually, when I was studying in Pune doing my Masters, there was a canteen serves in morning warm breakfast like Upma, Kanda Poha, Idli Sambhar and Vada Pav with Tea or Coffee. hmm…this Upma always make me nostalgic and drag me to my gone but golden days! :) I have learned this Upma from my Mom — she makes a simple yet very delicious Upma. During my teenager days, I hardly make any full lunch/dinner, I was helping hand of my mom though. :) So, I learned the art of cooking little by little.
OK, now come to the recipe… A hint of garlic, green chillies and ginger makes it super delicious. Here is my version.
Mix Vegetable Upma Recipe:
What I used:
1.5 Cups Rava (Coarse Semolina)
1 medium Onion – thinly sliced
1 cup frozen or fresh mix vegetables – I used mix frozen Carrots, Peas and Corns -thawed and microwaved for 3-4 mins.
2-3 Green chillies, halved
1 inch Ginger, crushed
2 Garlic pods, crushed (In Australia, usually garlic pod is very big so I need only a pod equals 2-3 pods in India)
1 tbsp Udad Dal
1 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds/ Rai
A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
Curry leaves – a few
A splash of lime juice
Salt – as per taste
Boiling water 3-4 cups
Cilantro – for garnish
How to :
1) First dry roast Rava (Coarse Semolina) in Kadai on slow to medium flame until rava turns slight pinkish and starts to smell. Take care not to burn. Keep it aside.
2) Now, dry roast Udal dal on law flame until turns pink. – keep it aside.
3) In same kadai heat oil and add mustard seeds, let it splutter for a second and now add asafoetida (hing), curry leaves, ginger, green chillies and crushed garlic. Saute it for a few seconds and now add onions and sprinkle a little salt. Saute it on medium flame until onion become golden brown. Add in mix veges of your choice and let it saute for 1 -2 mins more.
4) Now add the roasted Semolina and Udad dal and mix it well. Immediately add in boiled water taking care you don’t burn. Keep stirring but don’t over do or it will become mushy. Make sure everything mixed well. Finally add salt and lemon juice. You will notice that the water is evaporating and Upma is getting thicken.
5) Switch off the flame. And let it rest for 5-7 mins covering with a lid. Garnish with cilantro.